Bios_59-60 htm

Home History Appendices Scrapbook Bios Interns News Links Comments

EQV Fraternity 1954 - 1968

Bios 1959-1960

Since AXP or EQV
Bios by them that are living it

Table of Contents

 Douglas Bennet (’59)

Douglas J. Bennet ’59 was elected the 15th president of Wesleyan University on April 7, 1995, and began his tenure on July 1, 1995.

He was assistant secretary of state for international organization affairs when tapped by Wesleyan. He was appointed to that post in 1993 by President Clinton to manage efforts to streamline and improve relations with the United Nations and other external organizations.

Bennet is best known for his decade (1983-93) as chief executive officer and president of National Public Radio. He was recruited to orchestrate a dramatic turnaround at the near-bankrupt organization. He succeeded in tripling listenership and almost doubling the number of member stations while raising funds to end its near total dependency on federal money. He spurred innovative programming that produced popular shows such as “Weekend Edition,” “AfroPop,” and “Performance Today.”

Well versed in foreign affairs, Bennet was head of the Agency for International Development (1979-81), where he managed an annual $5 billion budget for U.S. economic assistance to 70 developing nations. He served as assistant secretary for congressional relations, Department of State (1977-79), and was special assistant to U.S. Ambassador to India Chester Bowles (1964-66). He also served as assistant to the economic advisor for the Agency for International Development (1963-64).

On the domestic side, he was named in 1977 as the first staff director of the Senate Budget Committee. He previously was assistant to Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey (1967-69), Senator Thomas F. Eagleton (1969-73), and Senator Abraham Ribicoff (1973-74).

He left government service in 1981 to become the first president of the Roosevelt Center for American Policy Studies in Washington, D.C., a private think tank specialized in issues of defense policy and disarmament.

Born in Orange, New Jersey, on June 23, 1938, Bennet grew up in Lyme, Connecticut, and attended the local public schools. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Wesleyan in 1959, a master’s degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1960, and a doctorate in history from Harvard University in 1968. In 1994, he received an honorary doctor laws degree from Wesleyan.

He serves on the Board of Trustees of Wellesley College. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, serves on the Advisory Council of The Stanley Foundation, and is a member of the Woodrow Wilson Foundation National Advisory Committee. Locally, he serves as a director of the Middlesex County Chamber of Commerce and is a member of the Rockfall Foundation.

Alan F. Brooks (’59)

I was standing in front of North College on that early June evening in 1959 before the day of graduation watching the college band file by when from behind me I heard my name murmured in disbelief. It was Robert Norwine, Dean of Admissions, incredulous no doubt that I had managed to stitch together a respectable enough academic record to receive my diploma. (In 1967, I also earned my MALS degree in English from Wesleyan.)

Following graduation and a year teaching and coaching at an independent day school in New Jersey (I started a varsity football program there that is still going), I returned to my old high school, Westminster School in Simsbury, CT as its first Director of Admissions. I have been there ever since.

In 1969 at the age of 33, I married Marie-Pier, a French woman, who I met on the left bank of Windsor, CT! My wife worked for a bank and later owned a classy clothing boutique but for the past 15 years has been a real estate agent for Prudential CT. More important, she has been a tough-love mom for our three large, now adult children: Fletcher (35), the strength and conditioning coach and associate head track coach at Williams College; Ethan (33 ), an offensive lineman for the New York Jets; and Rebecca (27 ), following her own professional athletic and college coaching stint, a teacher and coach at Pomfret School in Pomfret, CT. None are married and my wife and I patiently await our time as grandparents.

I directed the Admissions program at Westminster from 1960 to 1982, and during that time worked for my profession by serving as a Director and Officer of the Secondary School Admissions Test Board and as Chairman of the National Association of Boarding Schools. For the next 21 years I served the school as Director of Development and later as Associate Headmaster for External Affairs. In 1987, I helped establish and was an officer of the Planned Giving Group of Connecticut.

My love of track and field from high school and college days carried me into coaching the sport for many years at Westminster. My children and I each captained our respective Westminster track teams and the school did us the great honor two years ago by naming its new track facility after my family. I continue to compete in the senior track circuit and have finally joined my three children as an All-American, albeit in my advanced years.

For the past two years I have been assisting the Headmaster and the advancement program as a development advisor. My intent is to step aside completely in June 2006, after my 46th year at the school, but no one, including my wife believes me!

With the start of my graded descent at Westminster, I have found time to get more involved in volunteer work with other educational institutions. Currently I sit on the Boards of the Fay School in Southborough, MA which I also attended as a young boy and the Cobb School, Montessori in Simsbury, CT which my children attended in their very early years. Marie-Pier and I have also been able to spend more time at our island cottage in Boothbay Harbor, Maine where there is ample opportunity for me to enjoy the pleasures of reading, barbecuing and messing around in boats.

It was good fun spending time with some of my Wesleyan classmates at our 45th reunion, and I look forward to celebrating with them our 50 years of escape from Middletown in 2009 when we can have a highball together and “tell stories of the glories of dear old Wesleyan”.

Walt Burnett (’59)

After a final summer working as a hiking director at a Y-camp in the Adirondacks, Harriet and I were married in August of 1959. We dated at Nott Terrace High School in Schenectady, NY, and got together again in the fall of our senior year. There was much communication and some travel between Middletown and Middlebury that year along with a preoccupation with my Honors College project and concern about graduate school. We are still married with two adult children and two young grandsons. Our daughter, Karen born in 1962, lives in Van Nuys, California. Our son, Laird born in 1964, and his family live in Chevy Chase, Maryland. Karen does leadman work for movies and TV. Laird heads the Kaiser federal government relations group in Washington.

In the fall of 1998 Harriet retired as head of the Safety and Permits Department in city government in New Orleans and in the summer of 1999 I retired from the public health faculty after thirty years at Tulane. My Tulane career was a combination of teaching and university administration. Among other assignments I served as the academic dean for the Freeman School of Business and founding chair of the Health Systems Management Department at the Medical Center.

In 1988, during a sabbatical leave, we decided to leave New Orleans at retirement. To that end we found twenty acres plus of mountain land in Western North Carolina with a ridge-line and the potential of a great view. We designed a home, built a road and oversaw the construction of our new home. We moved in during a snow and ice storm in February of 1999. We love it here. I do a good bit of day hiking and have undertaken several serious gardening projects. I am active with the Highlands Institute of American Religious and Philosophic Thought (HIARPT) which provides me with an opportunity to build on many of my Wesleyan interests that had been on hold. I am continually reminded of how good the education was that we received at Wesleyan as I participate in the HIARPT programs. In the spirit of Victor Butterfield’s civic leadership charges, I have recently completed a stint on a North Carolina Planned Parenthood affiliate board after being active in that organization at the local, regional and national levels for some 25 years. In New Orleans I served on the Board of the Public Library System for nine years which continually reminded me of the hours I spent earning my spending money at Wesleyan by manning the circulation desk and shelving books at the Olin Library.

After moving to the mountains, I joined the health policy faculty at Emory School of Public Health for four years. Being a virtual faculty member – using a satellite Internet connection and twice monthly trips to Atlanta – was great way to end my faculty career. This summer I will finish a three-year consulting project with the Open Society Institute which has taken me to developing schools of public health throughout Eastern and Central Europe. For the six years prior to that, I was involved in the development of a school of public health program in Moscow. These international experiences, along with involvement with a distance learning program in India, capped off a long set of interesting experiences in both residential and distance learning in professional graduate public health and business education.

Between Wesleyan and Tulane we moved around the Midwest – between Iowa and Michigan. I did my masters and doctoral work, first in American history, then shifting to medical care organization and political science at the University of Iowa with the support of an Edward John Noble Foundation Leadership grant that I was awarded on the recommendation of Wesleyan. At different times I worked for state government in Des Moines and for a hospital in Sault Sainte Marie. In the middle sixties, I joined the Michigan State (MSU) faculty. Ernie Dunn was also on the MSU faculty at that time. That was the beginning of my university career and I have been a faculty member every since until my second retirement in 2003. As I think back on my days since Wesleyan, I am continually reminded of how many of my values were formed, reinforced and refined at Wesleyan. Alan Brooks, my Wesleyan roommate, and I still keep in touch and, because of the AXP/EQV get-together, Gus Napier and I have reestablished contact. It turns out that we both live the mountains – a short distance apart but a two-hour drive on winding roads. Those of us who were at Wesleyan during the Butterfield years were indeed lucky.

Tim Chapin (’59)

After graduation, I attended the University of Michigan's School of Urban Planning, and attempted a career along those lines, in Chicago. It did not work and one interview led to another until I ended up in a bank in Massachusetts. I clawed my way slowly to a top spot, until a merger in the mid '90's swept me away. By that time I had bought a small farm, where I could raise a fourth adopted boy (from Brazil) and provide vacation space for my first three children, who were attending a wide variety of colleges. The farm included an apiary, a vineyard and a large flock of Clunforest sheep.

With the last boy off to college, I sold my farm, retired from a bond brokerage, I had started after Bank of America seized my employer, and retired to northern Vermont where I snowshoe and paint with watercolors. My first showing will be next year.

John Fowler (’59)

After graduating from Wesleyan in 1959, I entered The Dickinson School of Law (now Penn State’s law school). I graduated in 1962, and began practicing law in Carlisle, PA, where I still practice with a medium size firm although I now live in Charlottesville, VA. Anyone interested in my professional career may visit my law firm’s web site at

While still in law school, I married Noreen McKinstry from Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Noreen and I have three children, Cindy, John and Amanda, who live in Millers Creek, NC, Newtown Square, PA, and Lancaster, PA, respectively. Sadly after almost 36 years of marriage, Noreen died following a brief battle with cancer in 1996. I now have four grandchildren, all born after Noreen’s death.

In early 1996 and again in early1997, on the one per year plan, I tore each quadriceps both of which were surgically repaired. Because I have a twin sister and a younger sister who live in Charlottesville and because the University of Virginia has an excellent aqua therapy facility in its sports/medicine center, I came to Virginia to rehab my knees. It was successful, although I doubt I could effectively engage in “Kick the Can” at Russell House, as many of us enjoyed doing after dinner a stretch of years ago.

While in Virginia, I was introduced to my second wife, Carolyn, a close friend of my younger sister. Carolyn was the HR manager of a Siemens manufacturing plant in Johnson City, TN. Following our marriage, we lived in Johnson City for about a year before moving to Charlottesville where Carolyn had previously lived for a number of years.

I continue to practice law, traveling to PA about every other week for a few days at a time. Otherwise, I am connected to my law office there by computer, fax and telephone. Most of my clients don’t know where I am (nor do I half the time) when they call me at my office, which is kind of neat. I still enjoy golf, particularly with my son, and bridge, among a variety of other activities and interests that we now have the time for and, fortunately and thankfully, the good health to pursue.

Donald B. Hinman (’59)

Except for a three and half year stint in the Coast Guard, I spent my entire working career teaching English (thanks to George Creeger especially), coaching (particularly ice hockey – ditto Bill Spurrier), and school mastering which was part of my parents’ world.

Mary-Lou and I met in graduate school at UCONN and have been married since 1968. Our son David and his wife teach at The Taft School where he is the Athletic Director. Mary –Lou retired as Chair of the English Department at Plymouth State University two years ago; I have been retired for six years now.

We live in central New Hampshire on an early 19th century hill farm with a big vegetable-flower garden, fruit trees and bushes, and about three miles from the house, a good trout pond where I don’t spend quite enough time. So, with two grandchildren, lots of books, some volunteer work, and interests in politics, theatre, and in local history, we are happy and don’t have time to miss the teaching careers we both left.

Best wishes to you all.

Jack Fowler, (’60)

An English major with a Ph.D. in social psych from the University of Michigan, who defines himself as a survey methodologist: one who studies sources of error and how to minimize it in statistics derived from asking samples of people to answer questions. My life basically has been a series of research projects. A few things that I might put in my obituary:

First director of the Center for Survey Research at UMass Boston, which is still going strong 34 years later.

Author or co-author of four pretty widely used books on survey methods.

Contributed a good bit to knowledge about how to measure the way patients are affected by the medical treatments they receive.

Particularly satisfied with work we did that documented and widely disseminated the effects of treatment of prostate cancer. I think those studies changed the discussions doctors and patients have about the implications of the treatment options.

Though I still spend time at CSR, since 2002 I have been President of the Foundation for Informed Medical Decision Making (, the mission of which is to change the way medical decisions are made. The goals are to alert people to when decisions are occurring that warrant patient input and to get patients the information and understanding they need to play an active role in decisions about their health. When we succeed, the problem of health care costs will be largely solved: everyone should be able to get the medical care they need and want at no collective increase in cost, without any sense of rationing. We hope to have the world changed by the time I retire.

My wife Judy and I live in Brookline, MA. We have three kids and a couple of grandchildren who are scattered around the country. My golf game peaked in 1960, but I am hoping to get it back to its former glory one of these days.

Jay A. Levy, (’60)

Jay A. Levy, M.D., an AIDS and cancer researcher and an educator at the University of California, School of Medicine at San Francisco (UCSF), is presently Professor in the Department of Medicine and Research Associate in the Cancer Research Institute. He is Director of the Laboratory for Tumor and AIDS Virus Research at UCSF. Dr. Levy graduated with high honors in 1960 from Wesleyan University (Connecticut), and was awarded Fulbright and French Government fellowships to conduct research in Paris, France. He earned his M.D. in 1965 from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University. From 1965 to 1967, he was an intern and resident at the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia).

From 1967 to 1970, he was a Staff Associate at the National Cancer Institute (Bethesda, MD), where he conducted research on DNA and RNA cancer viruses. In 1972, Dr. Levy was appointed Assistant Professor at UCSF' Department of Medicine, where he established a laboratory for the study of tumor viruses; he has been a full Professor since 1985.

During more than 20 years, Dr. Levy and his researchers have dedicated their efforts to the studies of AIDS. In 1983 he co-discovered the AIDS virus, HIV, that he originally called the AIDS-associated retrovirus (ARV). He pioneered heat-treatment studies that demonstrated how to inactivate HIV in clotting factor preparations. This approach, for which he received the Murray Thelin Award from the National Hemophilia Foundation, has protected many hemophiliacs from HIV infection. He was the first to report the presence of HIV in the brain and bowel and linked it to diseases in these tissues. His group was also the first to demonstrate the ability of CD8+ lymphocytes in healthy infected people to control HIV replication by a noncytotoxic mechanism. It is mediated, at least in part, by a secreted CD8+ cell antiviral factor (CAF). This discovery presents a new insight into how the host immune system can control viral infection without killing the infected cell. Dr. Levy is currently conducting studies directed at the development of an AIDS vaccine and approaches for immune-based therapies.

Dr. Levy is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Academy of Microbiology and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He was given the Award of Distinction by the American Foundation for AIDS Research (AmFAR). He received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from Wesleyan University and an Honorary Degree in Science from that University. In 1998, he was chosen by the San Francisco Examiner as one of the ten most influential people in the San Francisco Bay Area. In 1999, he was given the UCSF/ARI George Sarlo award for excellence in mentoring. In 2002, he was chosen as the 45th Faculty Research Lecturer at the University, the highest honor given to a member of the Academic Senate. Last year he received the Abbott Award for outstanding research in immunology. Dr. Levy is the Editor-in-Chief of the highly-cited journal AIDS. He has published over 400 scientific articles and reviews and is the author or editor of thirteen books dealing with viruses and immunology. Among these are his acclaimed four volume series, The Retroviridae and his seminal, sole-authored book, HIV and the Pathogenesis of AIDS, now in its second edition and translated into Chinese. Dr. Levy participates in programs of the World Affairs Council and is an AIDS advisor to several countries (e.g. India, China, Mexico, Ethiopia, the Dominican Republic, Thailand).

Bill Murphy – (’60)

At times I think that my life’s biography is a stereotype of middle class (lower middle class?) America. I’ve been married to the same wonderful woman for 45 years. I’ve taught at the same school in small town America for 44 years, and I’ve lived in a 1790 house for the past 30 years in a community of 1700 people.

Bob Sade, my freshman room mate at Wesleyan, arranged a blind date with Karen Obermeyer in the spring of 1957. She soon accepted my fraternity pin and we dated throughout college. A week after graduation we were married, and Kay’s nursing position supported us while I earned a master’s degree in education from Harvard. We moved to Hanover (NH) High School in 1961, and I’ve been on the staff there ever since. Along the way I also earned another master’s degree from Carnegie, spent a year at UNH, and accumulated credits from other colleges.

We have four children. Mandy, our eldest, attended Wesleyan for a year before returning to the University of New Hampshire. She pursued graduate work in museum/zoo studies and is currently the associate registrar at the National Zoo in Washington. Abbe, with mixed feelings from her father, graduated from Williams and is currently youth coordinator for the Lyme Congregational Church and follows her passion as a singer in numerous community groups. Cindy went into the Air Force from high school and then to culinary arts school. At present she is a very happy homemaker in Miami. Norm has stayed with the military, and he is currently serving his second tour of duty with the 82 Airborne Division in Afghanistan which continues to keep his parents on edge. We also lost a daughter, Gabrielle, in infancy. And of course Kay is the rock upon which this family is built, often sacrificing herself so that the kids and I can go the extra distance in our fields of interest.

As a social studies teacher for 44 years, I’ve taught just about every course you can image. Early in my teaching career I was asked to teach Anthropology and when I told my principal that I had never taken a course in Anthropology, he responded that since I graduated from Wesleyan with a liberal arts education I must be able to teach anything. And so I have taught just about anything, although I consider myself basically an American Historian. So far the peak of my career is being chosen teacher of the year for the state of New Hampshire in 1988, and I continue to be president of the state’s teacher of the year organization. At the present time the State of New Hampshire considers me retired, but I still teach three classes a day at Hanover, and I haven’t yet figured out how to get home before six.

I’ve been very active in Hanover’s extra curricular program, and I have coached boys and girls varsity basketball, varsity softball, and junior varsity baseball. For many years I have been the school’s quiz bowl (academic competition) coach, and we have had a lot of success - it is great to be blessed with very bright students. I was department head for a short time, served on regional social studies organizations, and ran the area summer school for about ten years. It is interesting to note that the school is reaccredited every ten years, and I have been through five of those reaccreditation processes. Hanover High School is one of the best high schools in America, but I often play the role of hair shirt by bringing up issues where I think we could do better.

Those who remember me from Wesleyan will probably not be surprised that I continue to play softball in the local men’s league. I did stop playing in the Sunday night basketball games two years ago, but my basketball is still in my closet ready to be brought out with any encouragement. We are very active in our local church and have held just about all of the jobs at one time or another. As time allows (and even some times when it doesn’t) we are involved in other community activities. I always planned to be a social studies teacher in a small New England town where I could make a difference, and with the help of my wife and family, I think I have.

Gus Napier (’60)

I grew up in Lumber City, a fly-speck of a town in southern Georgia, and came to Wesleyan because of the College’s outreach plan to increase its geographic diversity; I came with a Heddon Scholarship, and with the help of a certain My Weekly Reader salesman. Perhaps the critical link was my aunt Alice, who was curriculum director of a metropolitan Atlanta school system, and who in that role was a regular customer for Wesleyan’s highly profitable little newspaper for school kids. So when the salesman was asked by his employer to look around for promising southern boys who might apply to Wesleyan, my aunt said, “I know someone in Lumber City.”

I remember vividly studying the Wesleyan catalog like Alice peering down the rabbit hole into another world; fascinated, I “holed up” in my room for an entire weekend writing the essay that apparently did the trick. As I was leaving the campus after graduation, Bob Norwine said to me, “Congratulations, Gus. And by the way, that was quite an essay. It convinced us to take a gamble on you.” Certainly it wasn’t the credibility of my grades at Jeff Davis High School, whose alma mater some of you enjoyed making me sing while standing on a table in the Crow dining room.

The whole journey north and east was terrifying, my only solace being Marvin Houseworth, who make the trip with me and my father, and whose own father was a farmer in Klondike, GA; and who became a life-long friend.

Fraternity rush was perhaps the most palpable anxiety I faced, and in every fraternity there was a moment in which I was surrounded in a hallway and asked, “So, Gus, how do you feel about integration?” To which question I always replied enthusiastically, “I’m all for it.” Often my response led to a surprised silence; but at Crow I felt something else: a convergence, a sense of welcome. Here was a really lively and diverse bunch. Sick of the Jim Crow south I had been raised in, I was delighted to find Lenny and Ernie as members, as well as Jews, Catholics, WASPS, preppies and scholarship kids like me.

Coming to Wesleyan had a tremendous effect on my life; it opened vistas I wouldn’t have seen from Emory or the University of Georgia. In spite of the hazing, the Crow chapter was warmly supportive of the kid who said “awl” for oil and “howdy” for hi. A number of you reached out to me and were informal mentors—Walt Burnett, Doug Bennet, Ted Wieseman, Don Hinman, and others. Though I was president of my senior class, a ball that I later dropped resoundingly, Crow had a much deeper impact on me than my class did. Until this reunion was proposed, I don’t think I realized just how important to me it was.

I liked to write, and at Wesleyan Richard Wilbur was a tremendous influence. I majored in English and thought I would be a poet. Wilbur helped me get a post-Wesleyan job teaching at Phillips Andover, where I studied with Greek scholar and poet Dudley Fitts. I had a fellowship to go on to the Harvard MAT program, and I thought I would teach in a private school and write poetry.

In my junior year at Wesleyan, I met—through my roommate, Steve Jones—a Mt. Holyoke sophomore named Midge (now Margaret) Mashburn. We fell in love, and then she went off for her junior year at the University of Geneva. When she returned for her senior year, I was teaching at Andover while she finished Holyoke. We got engaged immediately, and as it turned out, prematurely. Love is, as Bruno Bettleheim’s book suggests, not enough.

Wesleyan nurtured me and challenged me, but it also pampered me. I was not at all ready to face the world of marriage and career; and as the year at Andover wore on, my panic about how to be a grownup increased. As our wedding day approached, I realized that I couldn’t do it. I quit the job at Andover abruptly, called off our wedding, and retreated to Atlanta, where my parents had moved. Bless her heart, as we say in the south, my mother found me a good therapist, who in turn helped Margaret find one in New York City, where she had enrolled at Columbia for a master’s degree in French. Two years later, after some cliff-hanger moments, Margaret and I were married near her parents’ Florida home.

My therapist in Atlanta became a powerful figure in my life. Brilliant, charismatic, psychiatrist Carl Whitaker was on the way to becoming one of the founders of the field of family therapy. Fascinated by the drama and complexity of psychotherapy, I decided to become a psychologist and a therapist. Margaret and I moved to Chapel Hill, NC, where I did the coursework for a Ph.D. in clinical psychology; she got a second master’s degree (in psychology and education) at Duke. By that time Carl had moved to the medical school of University of Wisconsin, Madison, where he was teaching family therapy. I went there for my clinical training (internship and post-doc) and became Carl’s protégé. I stayed on the clinical faculty in the Psychiatry Department and joined the academic faculty in the Child and Family Studies Department. I also began a private practice. With Carl’s support and encouragement, I became a circuit rider for the emerging field of family therapy, traveling around the country giving lectures and leading workshops; I also wrote numerous journal articles and co-edited a text, The Book of Family Therapy.

We stayed in Madison for ten years, and two of our three children were born there. Eventually I realized that I had to step outside the long shadow of my mentor. Margaret, meanwhile, had started a progressive school in Madison, The Wingra School, and we had begun to experiment with seeing a few married couples together in my private practice. Toward the end of our time there I wrote The Family Crucible (Harper/Collins, 1978), which follows a case Carl and I treated together. Having sold a quarter million copies, it is perhaps the most widely read book about family therapy and is often used as an introduction to the field.

I persuaded Margaret to move to Atlanta in 1978, where I started a private institute called The Family Workshop. In Atlanta, Margaret continued her interests in education, and for several years she chaired the Board of the Paideia School, which our children attended. I taught seminars and supervised other therapists in family therapy, and I continued to lead workshops around the country and to write professional articles. Margaret and I also began to work together regularly as co-therapists; we worked with married couples primarily and often involved couples’ children and their families of origin. Our work together was for both of us our most exciting professional involvement. In 1988 I published The Fragile Bond (Harper/Collins), a book about marriage which describes my close collaboration with Margaret; it also describes some of our own relationship struggles.

I had a health crisis in 1997 which precipitated our decision to retire early. We bought some land and proceeded to build a house near Brevard, NC, in the mountains. Though building a modernist house in western North Carolina proved to be something of an ordeal (and a second career), we love living in an ecologically-oriented community in this wonderful temperate rain forest. We especially love swimming in our mountain lakes, and hiking together. There is also a wonderful music festival here in the summer. Margaret has become a passionate and expert native plant gardener, and is an active community volunteer. 

Our older two children live in New England: Sarah lives in Concord, MA, and is an administrator at the Fayerweather Street School in Cambridge. Her husband Rob is a computer software writer; their daughter Katie is 2 ½. Mark lives in Portland, ME, where he is finishing a pulmonary fellowship at Maine Medical Center. His wife Nicole is a geneticist and teaches at Bowdoin; their son Emil is 3. Our youngest, Julia, is married to an Argentine, Juan Mora, whom she met at Haverford at 19; Juan is an actor/director, Julia a writer. They live in Buenos Aires. Most of our travel budget is spent on trying to keep up with their lives. Like most of you, I’m sure, we love being grand-parents.

For a while after we retired I continued to try to consult and write in my field, and in 2000 I co-edited a text; but the pleasures of just livin’ have gradually won out. I still enjoy writing. I am experimenting with a synthesis of poems and photographs, which I call “photopoems,” and I am working on a memoir and on a book of reflections of a marriage therapist.

Though I was active in several professional associations and received a number of citations and awards during my career, nothing gave me more pleasure than being named a Wesleyan Distinguished Alumnus.