Bios in Memoriam htm

Home History Appendices Scrapbook Bios Interns News Links Comments

EQV Fraternity 1954 - 1968

in Memoriam

Since AXP or EQV
Bios about those that lived it

Table of Contents


 Max Abramson (’57)

From The New York Times, May 7, 1991

Dr. Maxwell Abramson, chairman of the department of otolaryngology at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, died on Friday at Kona Hospital in Hawaii. He was 55 years old and lived in Tenafly, N.J.

He was attending a medical conference and died after he was struck by a car while bicycling, a family spokeswoman said.

A 1957 graduate of Wesleyan University, he graduated from Albany College of Medicine in 1961. After additional training in otolaryngology, he taught at several medical schools before being named chairman of the department at Columbia University in 1977. He was on the boards of the Deafness Research foundation and the Communicative Disorders Committee of the National Institutes of healthy. He was also a past president of the Society of University Otolaryngologists-Head and Neck Surgeons.

He is survived by his wife, the former Marsha Margulies, a son, Stuart, of Manhattan; two daughters, Rebecca , of the Bronx, and Deborah, of Brooklyn, and his mother, Esther Abramson of West Palm Beach, Fla.

Elmore L. Keener (’57)

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, October 23, 1973

Services for Elmore Lee Keener, Jr., a principal partner and director of the Pittsburgh Penguins, will be held at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at Calvary Episcopal Church…

Mr. Keener, 37, a vice-president and partner with Charles G. Peelor and Co., Grant Building, Downtown, died yesterday (Oct. 22) at West Penn Hospital. He lived on Indian road, Fox Chapel.

He was a past president of the Pittsburgh Securities Traders Association and a past governor of the Bond Club of Pittsburgh. He also was a director of the Pittsburgh Testing Laboratories.

He was a member of the Edgewood Country Club, the University Club and fox Chapel Racquet Club.

Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Janet Bygate Keener; two sons, Charles and Craig Keener; a daughter, Suzanne Leslie Keener, and three brothers, Edward S., Robert J., and Eugene L. Keener and his mother, Mrs. Amelia Keener.

Norman H. Wissing (’57)

From the Wesleyan Magazine, fall, 2003

Norman H. Wissing, a 21-year veteran of the U.S. Air Force, died May 20, 2003. He was 67. A member of Alpha Chi Rho, he retired from the Air Force as a lieutenant colonel after serving in Viet Name and in the United States; he then became the commander of a Junior Air Force ROTC program. Survivors include his wife, Beverly, three children, two grandchildren, a sister, a niece, a nephew, and his former wife, Marilyn.

William Olson (’58)

From the Wesleyan Magazine, 2003

William H. Olson, Jr. M.D., 66 a neurologist who had been chairman of the Department of Neurology at the University of Louisville School of Medicine, died July 5, 2003. A member of Alpha Chi Rho, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and to Sigma Xi. He received his degree with high honors and with distinction in chemistry. He was a Fulbright Scholar and received his M.D. from Harvard. Survivors include his parents; a brother, a sister, Bonnie Olson ’78; two children; and his longtime companion, Violet Dixon, and her son.


Walter Miller (’59)

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, October 16, 2002

Walter P. Miller III, 65, a retired executive who worked in the packaging industry, died Thursday of a brain tumor at his home in Lake Lure, N.C. Before moving to Lake Lure upon his retirement in 1996, Mr. Miller had been a resident of Gladwyne and Parsippany, N.J.

Mr. Miller grew up in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia and graduated from Episcopal Academy in 1955. he want on to earn a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn., in 1959.

He served for three years in the Navy before returning to the Philadelphia region to join his father in the Walter P. Miller Co., a Philadelphia firm; founded by his grandfather in 1896 that manufactured paper boxes for the pharmaceutical industry. After the business was closed in the late 1960s, Mr. Miller remained in the industry, working for Becton Dickinson & Co.’s Iyers-Lee division. Mr. Miller belonged to several professional organizations including the Philadelphia Drug Exchange, which he served as treasurer from 1993 to 1995.

Mr. Miller loved music, and he enjoyed singing in a choir and playing guitar. He also liked golfing, ballroom dancing, gardening and hiking.

He is survived by his wife of 25 years, Binney Bromley Miller; daughters Elizabeth Miller and Susan DuBois; a stepson, Rudolph Nuissl; a stepdaughter, Binney Huffman; one sister; a brother; and three grandchildren. His first wife, Elizabeth Baumgartner, from whom he had been divorced for many years, died several years ago.

Jim Alexander (’60)

From the Wesleyan Magazine, Issue III, 2005

James A. Alexander, Jr., 66, a retired college consultant and a past president of the National Association for College Admissions Counselors, died December 19, 2004. he was a member of Alpha Chi Rho [and EQV] and received a master’s degree from New York University. In 1962, as assistant director of admission and recruiting at N.Y.U., he wrote a proposal for a counseling department model that included the role of college consultant; hired to implement it at Highland Park (IL) High School, he created the first counseling resource center in the country that was designed to help students with college and career planning as well as with other post-secondary school issues. He is survived by his wife, Gita Jarnstedt Alexander, a son, a daughter, a sister, and a brother.

By Gus Napier (’60)

I vividly remember meeting Jim at AXP, this big guy from the Bronx—tall, with a deep, booming voice that seemed to reverberate down into his very long legs; he had a crew cut and a steady, confident smile. He seemed inveterately friendly, full of energy and talk, and with a flair for the dramatic. He reached out to this shy kid from southern Georgia and he impressed him—among other ways—with his story of seeing man get caught halfway into a New York subway door just as the train was pulling out, and yanking the man free. The story makes a good metaphor for Jim: the rescuer, the giver; and the dramatist.

At Wesleyan Jim majored in religion, with minors in Spanish and biology. He was a swimmer, a member of Cardinal Key, and on the Freshman Orientation Committee. Joining after the initial pledge period, he was an enthusiastic member of AXP/EQV.

After graduating from Wesleyan in 1960, Jim went to medical school for a year (the rescuer), but his love of Theater (capital T) proved stronger, and he left to chase this dream. Singer, dancer and actor, he performed with Carol Burnett on the Garry Moore Show. For a couple of years he announced all the commercials for the Masters Golf Tournament, as well as doing numerous voice-over commercial spots. He also acted in soaps, including As the World Turns, and Days of Our Lives. He modeled in clothing, automobile, and cigarette advertisements, and appeared in Life magazine four times. He even appeared in a Frankenstein advertisement with Boris Karloff. Jim’s success in these public ventures got him invited twice to the White House for dinner—by Presidents Kennedy and Ford.

Running parallel with this theatrical side of Jim there was the giver and the helper. In 1962, while working as Assistant Director of Admissions/Recruiting at New York University, Jim wrote a proposal for a counseling department “model” that included the role of college consultant. The head of the counseling program at Highland Park High School (in Highland Park, Illinois) saw this proposal, and hired Jim to implement it. There, Jim created the oldest counseling resource center in the country, a center that helped students not only with college planning but with career planning and with the larger issues of the post-high school world.

In his 34 years at Highland Park, Jim was wellspring of energy and creativity. He created a system in which students saw one counselor for all four years; he was deeply committed to providing equal access to counseling for all students, including minority students and those with learning disabilities; he pioneered the use of the computer in providing college and career information and referral. He visited countless colleges, made hundreds of speeches, consulted widely, and was a tireless advocate for Highland Park and its students. Jim worked with students’ families in doing long-term educational financial planning. He also tried to bring a healthy “reality dose” to the counseling process. Jim believed that his varied experiences allowed him represent the larger world ore accurately to students.

In his “spare time,” Jim coached the water polo team which he founded at Highland Park.

Jim’s innovative approaches to high school counseling brought him national recognition: he was active in the Illinois Association of College Admissions Counselors, which has created an award in his name; and he served as president of the National Association of College Admissions Counselors. He received a number of other citations and awards. The center Jim helped create at Highland Park is now named for him.

Jim was full of life, and he led a full life. He and Gita—the former Margareta Jarnstedt, who worked as an interior designer—had two children, James and Caryn. Jim was extremely devoted to and proud of his family. He and Gita also bought and renovated and sold real estate; collected antiques (the couple owned and ran a small antiques business in Illinois). Jim painted (in oils), loved music, antiques, travel, his friends.

In 2000, Jim and Gita retired to Hendersonville, N.C., which is also near the renowned Flat Rock Playhouse. The last time I saw Jim (I live in nearby Brevard) was at a party he and Gita gave to celebrate the expansion and renovation of their house. Jim knew he was very ill; he couldn’t wait to show the unfinished project to his friends. He led us around the house, his expansive gestures filling in their dreams of new rooms, new surfaces, new spaces. He talked the whole time; you could hear his booming voice all over the house.

Jim died on December 19, 2004, of leukemia. I am only one of a huge number of people who miss him.

David Bing (’60)

From The Boston Globe, February 22, 2000

A memorial service will be held today for David Howard Bing of Brookline, an authority on immunology and forensic DNA testing who held appointments at Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and the Center for Blood Research in Boston.

Dr. Bing died Saturday at his home from a brain tumor. He was 61.

Born and raised in Hudson, Ohio, Dr. Bing graduated from Western Reserve Academy, Wesleyan University, and the Western Reserve University.

Known for his work in DNA diagnostics, Dr. Bing was director of the first DNA lab accredited by the national Forensic Science Testing Center. He also trained the directors of DNA testing at the Boston Police Crime Lab and served as an expert witness at more than 100 criminal trials nationally. Dr. Bing’s testimony twice helped in the release of wrongfully convicted prisoners on death row.

He was widely published in scientific journals for his work as a research scientist. He was a fellow of the National Institutes of Health and the American Cancer Society. Dr. Bing was also an investigator for the American Heart Society and a Rockefeller scholar at the Bellagio Study and Conference Center.

Dr. Bing’s last position was a scientific director at Genomics Collaborative.

He leaves his wife, Claudine (Lang); two daughters, Danielle M. of Nevada, and Deborah E.; a son, Jonathan W. of New York; and two brothers, Anthony G. of Indiana and Stephen R. of Bolton.

Patrick Brian Smith (’61)

From the Wesleyan Magazine, winter 1991

Patrick Brian Smith, 52, died April 20, 1991, in San Francisco, Calif., of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. He received both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in social work at the University of Toronto. He was director of social work at the Orthopedic and Arthritic Hospital, and coordinator of volunteers for Shanti Projects, an AIDS social service agency. He is survived by two sisters.

Steve Buttner (61) see more comments on Steve's page

Obituary from the Hartford Courant

BUTTNER, Steven B.

Steven B. Buttner, of West Hartford, died peacefully on August 1, 2012 at Hartford Hospital. He was born in Plymouth, MA on December 7, 1939, son of the late George and Esther Buttner. He built a career as a management consultant, specializing in leadership assessment and coaching, and through his passion for this work became well respected in his field. He received his undergraduate degree from Wesleyan University in 1961, a Master's Degree in Russian Studies from University of Wisconsin, and was a PhD. Candidate at Columbia University in Eastern European and Russian Medieval History.

He will be remembered for his warmth, engaging personality, and sense of humor, as well as his love of nature, travel, literature, classical music and opera. He was committed to social justice and civil rights.

He was an active participant in his Wesleyan fraternity, EQV for all his years. He is survived by his wife Jeri; his children, Jessica Buttner of Medford, MA, and Judson Buttner of Brooklyn, NY, and their mother, Doreen Buttner of Middletown. He was predeceased by his parents and his sister Nancy. He is survived by his brother Richard of Rockledge, FL, and his children, Susan, Richard and Douglas and their families; as well as by numerous cousins and his family of friends.

A memorial service to celebrate his life will be held on August 11, 2012 at 3 p.m. at Patricelli '92 Theater at Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his memory to the EQV Internship Program: Ann Goodwin, Wesleyan University, 318 High Street, Middletown, CT, 06459. The check should note on the memo line: EQV Internships.

Published in The Hartford Courant on August 7, 2012

Dan Aronson (62)

Dan R. Aronson, 69, an anthropologist whose career spanned 25 years at McGill University and 15 at the World Bank, died of brain cancer on February 26, 2010, at a hospice in Wayland, Massachusetts.

Mr. Aronson was born in Brookline, Mass., and grew up there and in nearby Watertown. An Eagle Scout, he graduated class Salutatorian from Watertown High School in 1958 and won a General Motors National Merit Scholarship to attend Wesleyan University, in Middletown, Conn.

At Wesleyan, Mr. Aronson pledged the EQV fraternity in the same year as several musically inclined friends who would go on to national stardom as The Highwaymen, a folk revival group. His early enthusiasm for scouting attracted him to the study of Native American peoples; from there it was a short leap to anthropology. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Wesleyan in 1962 and went on to earn a doctorate from the University of Chicago in 1970. The wave of independence movements cresting in Africa in the 1960s prompted him to undertake field work in Ibadan, Nigeria, in 1967-68, where he focused on patterns of migration and ethnic consolidation. The yellowy kerosene lamps illuminating the Ibadan cityscape at night were an enchanting vision to a boy from the suburbs of Boston.

A second period of field work in Ibadan, in 1973-74, led to the publication of The City is Our Farm, a study of the experience of seven Yoruba families who had recently migrated to the city. As the book’s title reflects, Mr. Aronson’s assessment of urbanization was considerably more optimistic than much of the contemporary literature, which tended to stress patterns of
upheaval and social dislocation. Throughout his career he would defend the role of individual agency and contingency against the more esoteric, structural explanations then proliferating in the social sciences.

He married Theresa Geraldine Lopez in 1962, and began his academic career at McGill University, in Montreal, Canada, in 1968. He became department chair and full professor in 1980 and 1982, respectively. His academic awards included fellowships and grants from the Ford Foundation, Woodrow Wilson Foundation, Canada Council, and the International Development Research Centre.

He returned to Africa in 1976 for two years to work with the U.S. Agency for International Development as part of what was then a novel attempt to incorporate anthropologists into the design of development projects. Based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire, he travelled throughout West Africa, sometimes to remote areas of the Sahel. The self-sufficiency of the nomadic people living in the desert drew his admiration; he later co-edited, with two McGill colleagues, a book titled The Future of Pastoral Peoples. He would spend most of the rest of his career in development anthropology, which attempts to incorporate a deeper understanding of social structure and cultural values into efforts to improve the well-being and income-earning potential of the poor.

Mr. Aronson left McGill University in 1993 to begin a second career at the World Bank—a job change that, to his mock-dismay, required him to don a suit and tie. There he focused on strengthening and enforcing the Bank’s involuntary resettlement policies, sometimes mounting fierce challenges to development schemes that failed to adequately compensate the people who would be dispossessed by them.

Mr. Aronson became lead social scientist in the Bank’s social development department before officially retiring in 2003, although the thickening pages of his well-thumbed passport testified that the retirement was in name only. In all, Mr. Aronson’s work took him to nearly 40 African countries and well over 20 countries in Asia and Latin America. As much as he enjoyed teaching and writing, he was never happier than when, under a kapok or baobab tree, he would set up a makeshift office and spend a long afternoon listening to villagers discuss their concerns about the plans distant bureaucrats had put in motion on their behalf. Mr. Aronson’s son David remembers meeting the leader of a Congolese nongovernmental organization his father had once worked with. “We were worried when the Bank told us they were sending an expert in response to our complaint about a Bank-funded hydroelectric project,” the Congolese told him. “Had we done our research right? Would the Bank dismiss our concerns? Instead, Mr. Aronson came in and wrote a report ten times more
scathing than our own!”

In his spare time, Mr. Aronson enjoyed music, the theater, and reading. He collected and wrote about African art. He was an active scout master while his children were growing up and may have established the first American scouting troupe in francophone West Africa. During his later years, he confabulated improbable stories about his journeys for the entertainment of his grandchildren.

Mr. Aronson’s marriage to Theresa Lopez ended in divorce. He is survived by three children: David Aronson, of Washington, D.C., Jennifer Ewing, of Sudbury, Mass., and Joshua Aronson, of Wellesley, Mass; by eight grandchildren ranging in age from 11 years to four months: Hannah, Ryan, Kevin, James, Adam, Katherine, Benjamin, and Henry; by two brothers: Joel Aronson of Kentlands, Maryland and Carl Aronson of Cambridge, Mass; and by numerous in-laws, cousins, nieces, and nephews.


Bob Burnett (62) & NY Times & LA Times

by Michael S Roth 2011

I often celebrate the musical culture generated by the students, faculty, and staff at Wesleyan. Indeed, I’ve told prospective students to check out the music scene here if they really want to understand the personality of our school and to compare it with other places in which they are interested. I thrilled to hear Persephone Hall sing the national anthem at a football game, to listen to Sam Friedman ’13 play piano anywhere, or to marvel at the vocal ingenuity of our a cappella groups. I’m told that Eclectic still controls the music scene in Brooklyn (hence, the world), and I take great pride in the rock ‘n roll chops of Wesleyan’s Treasurer (John Meerts), Provost (Rob Rosenthal), head of the faculty (Gil Skillman) and dean for academic advancement (Louise Brown). Don’t even get me started on the all-star musicians in the Music Department! From the experimental to the traditional, they play with nuance and intensity.

This past week, we lost a storied voice in the chorus of Wesleyan’s music history. Bob Burnett died on December 7 at his home in Rhode Island. Bob and four other frosh were told to put on some entertainment for their fraternity in 1958, and they decided to become a folk band. While they were still undergraduates they had a #1 hit with their version of “Michael, Row the Boat Ashore.”

After graduating Wes he went to Harvard Law School, and it looked like he’d left the music business behind. But more than three decades after that freshmen concert, the original Highwaymen started performing and recording again — and winning great praise! I started hearing about Bob and the Highwaymen almost on my first day on the job at Wes. They inspired friendship and devotion. They still do.

 You can read more about the Highwaymen here and here.

Chan Daniels (’62)

from information provided by Dave Fisher and Steve Trott

After leaving Wesleyan in 1962, Chan, like the rest of the Highwaymen worked and lived in Greenwich Village, singing with the group at the Gaslight Café and making more records. He was the best man at Steve Trott’s wedding in Cincinnati in 1962.

Eventually, Chan left the group and attended Harvard where he earned an MBA. He worked for MGM and Capitol Records in the A&R departments. He left to start his own successful international music company but died unexpectedly in 1975 as a result of complications from pneumonia.

Henry L. Ernstthal ('62)

Henry L. Ernstthal, 72, a leader in the field of association management who ran the master of association management degree program at George Washington University for six years, died May 20 at the Washington Home hospice in the District. He lived in Washington.

He had Parkinson’s disease-induced dementia, his sister-in-law Penny Hansen said.

Mr. Ernstthal came to Washington in 1989, when he joined the GWU faculty and served there until 1995. He also did consulting and public speaking on association governance and corporate structure, strategic planning, board management, trend forecasting, ethical behavior and legal issues.

He retired from active consulting about 2007 but continued occasional public speaking until about two years ago.

Henry Leon Ernstthal was born in Brooklyn. He graduated from Wesleyan University in Connecticut in 1962 and from Stanford University’s law school in 1965.

He was executive director of the California Dental Association and then of the Society of Nuclear Medicine in New York before coming to Washington.

Mr. Ernstthal was the author of the third and fourth editions of “Principles of Association Management,” the primary text in the field, and he also wrote articles on association issues.

He was a 20-year member of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Mary Lynn Miller Ernstthal of Washington; two children, Logan Ernstthal of Creed, Colo., and Lisa Harris of San Francisco; and two grandsons.

Bart Barnes
          The Washington Post
          May 21, 2013

Dave Fisher ('62) & NY Times

From Bob Saliba

Dave and I were classmates and fraternity brothers. After I read of his passing, I played (as I did a lot over the past two years) the CD with so many of the songs I remember:

Michael, Santiano, Cindy, Gypsy Rover, Cotton Fields, The Carlton Weaver, Marching to Pretoria, Reuben James. It's like going right back to when these were first performed. I suddenly realized that this music is really a part of me.  

I was, to borrow the title from Dean Acheson's book, "present at the creation": That weekend in October 1958 at the EQV House (hen known as Alpha Chi Rho), when the Highwaymen made their debut. Never did I realize what an historical event that was.  

One time Dave was sitting somewhere in the House, maybe in his room, playing a wonderful tune from an lp on a portable phonograph. Who's that, I asked. It's Blind Blake, he replied. What's the song? Run Come See, Jerusalem.("It was nineteen hundred and twenty nine...Pretoria was out on the ocean...). It's fabulous, I said. Soon afterward they put this, my all- time favorite Highwaymen song, in their repertoire. 

In 1962 we graduated. The following autumn I was at the Cornell Law School, and the Highwaymen came to Ithaca to give a concert. At intermission I went back stage, we reunited, and I asked them to please play Run Come See. When they went back on stage they did, and Chan Daniels announced to the audience they were dedicating it to me. 

Some twenty-five or even thirty or thirty-five years later (these years all get blurred), after one of their reunion concerts, I asked Dave why they didn't play Run Come See, and he said that was really Chan's song, and when Chan died (in 1975) they didn't sing it any more. 

In 2007, at our forty-fifth reunion, I sat next to Dave at one of the picnic tables during the lunch on Andrus Field, and we chatted for about half an hour. He personally autographed for me his CD "Love's Way", some fourteen songs that he wrote by himself or with A. B. Clyde. I've enjoyed that album over and over again, and I was going to drop Dave a line telling how much I enjoyed the music, but I never did get around to it. 

Until I went on the web last week, I thought I'd never hear Run Come See, Jerusalem again, but I found it was available on one of their recordings, which I am ordering. This time I am going to get around to it. 

Dave was always approachable, open, kind, friendly and giving, and he had that rare quality that even when he wasn't that way, he was. 

If you go to you tube and type in Dave Fisher you can watch an interview he gave in 2008. 

Bob Saliba

Dave’s obituary in The New York Times:

David Towle ('62)

David W. Towle '62, a senior investigator at the Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, died Jan. 3, 2011, at age 69. A member of EQV, he was with the first Peace Corps group to serve in Nepal. He then received bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of New Hampshire, and a doctorate from Dartmouth College. Elected to Sigma Xi, he spent 18 years on the faculty at the University of Richmond, where he received the Outstanding Educator Award. He later became chair of the biology department at Lake Forest College before moving full-time to Maine, where in addition to his work at the laboratory, he pursued his interests in music and boat-building. Survivors include his wife, Betty Massie, three children, two grandsons, his mother, two brothers, and a sister.

Stuart Byron (’63)

Stuart Jay Byron was born on 9 May 1941 in the Bronx, New York and attended public schools there. In 1958 he began his freshman year at Wesleyan University. He majored in history and graduated in 1963.

After graduation, Byron worked in New York City in a number of different writing and film-related positions. Between 1963 and 1965, he was associate editor of the Independent Film Journal. Between 1965 and 1966, he was director of advertising and publicity for Pathé Contemporary Films. He moved to Avco Embassy Pictures and worked as a publicist between 1966 and 1967. In 1967, he was employed as a reporter and reviewer for the entertainment industry publication Variety. In 1969 he left Variety for Natoma Productions (known for its production of the 1960s play, Hair), where he was assistant to the president for motion pictures. In 1971, Byron began working as a film reviewer for The Village Voice, and freelanced for publications, including Rolling Stone, Harper's, The New York Times, Boston Phoenix, Gay, On Film, Film Comment, Movie, Creem, and New York magazine.

It was in the 18 February 1971 edition of The Village Voice, in his review of the film, The Statue, that Byron came out, and was one of the first openly gay film critics in New York. He then became involved in the early gay rights movement in New York. He was a member of the Gay Activists Alliance, the National Gay Task Force, and participated in the planning of annual Gay Pride weeks. He was a member of a number of gay clubs, societies, and organizations, and served as publicist for Fred Halsted’s gay film, LA Plays Itself.

In 1973, Byron moved from New York to Boston to become the film editor for The Real Paper, an employee-owned alternative weekly. By 1974 Byron was back in New York, as a contributing editor for Film Comment. In 1976, Byron and Elizabeth Weis co-edited On Movie Comedy, which was published by the Viking Press. In the next years, Byron held a variety of positions, including movie editor of Entertainment, and author of a weekly column for The Village Voice called “Rules of the Game.”

In 1982, Byron left New York and moved to Los Angeles to take a position with Rastar Productions as the creative affairs executive for Ray Stark. In 1984, Byron left Rastar, and worked in a number of different jobs, including one as columnist for LA Weekly. Byron also started his own business in Los Angeles called “re:visions, motion picture consultants,” a company which marketed his skills as a reader, writer, and editor to the movie industry. In 1989, Byron began writing a monthly column for The Advocate, the national gay and lesbian news magazine.

Stuart Byron was diagnosed with ARC (AIDS Related Complex) in 1988, and died 13 December 1991 from complications resulting from AIDS.


Donald Gregg (’63)

From the Wesleyan Magazine, Issue III, 2005

Donald G. Gregg, M.D., an emergency physician, died Jan. 28, 2005. He was 63 and was a member of [EQV]. After receiving his bachelor’s degree, he joined the U.S. Air Force and was highly-decorated, winning many awards, including the Distinguished Flying Cross. After leaving the Air Force he received his medical degree from the University of North Carolina and practiced emergency medicine. Survivors include his wife, Rebecca Reid Gregg, and three children.


Robert Levy (’63)

From the Wesleyan Magazine, winter 1994

Robert Henry Levy, 52, died September 29, 1993. A member of the EQV, he received his bachelor’s degree with distinction in English. He received his master’s and doctoral degrees in England language and literature from the University of Michigan. An assistant professor of English at Brown University, he later owned a real estate appraisal practice and, with his wife, a jewelry store, in Telluride, Colo. He is survived by his wife, Valerie Chakeres Levy, a daughter, a son, his father, and a brother.


Peter Cope (64)

From a printed notice sent by his wife Sandy

Peter L. Cope, 66, of Wellfleet and Nova Scotia, died peacefully at his home Dec. 4 [2007] of cancer. He was with Sandy, his wife of 43 years, his son, Tristan, and his sister, Alison.

Peter was born in Philadelphia, the son of the late Paul and Joan Cope. He graduated from Wesleyan University in 1964. It was about that time that he and Sandy came to {Provincetown. His first job was as a waiter at the Lobster Pot in the “old days.” He went on to cook at the Old Reliable Fish House and Pepe’s Wharf. The love of Peter’s life was fishing. He started on trap boats and went on to be captain of several draggers over the next 20 years. His own boat was the CC Friday. If anyone ever found his true calling, he did. He always said the gret thing about fishing was that when you went out in the morning, you never knew what was going to happen.

When fishing declined, Peter turned to carpentry. He worked for a time with Bob Baker and learned a lot from him. In 1988 to ’89, Peter single-handedly built his own house in Wellfleet. In his later years, he rediscovered his love from music and played the clarinet and saxophone every day. He played sax in the Lower Cape Band and the Annapolis Basin Community Band in Nova Scotia. For the past 15 years Peter and Sandy spent summers at their home in rural Nova Scotia, where Peter played music and took long walks in the woods with the dog.

In addition to his wife, son and sister, he is survived by his daughter, Claudia Crosen, three grandchildren and his two great grandchildren. He was pre-deceased by one daughter, Friday.

A family memorial will be held next summer in Nova Scotia and Peter’s ashes will be
tossed off the Saint John ferry over the Bay of Fundy.

Robert Jackson (64)

Robert Street Jackson – Obituary

DOVER - Dr. Robert Street Jackson of Dover died Saturday, Sept. 22, 2007, in Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital, Dover. He was 64.

Dr. Jackson was born March 27, 1943, in New York, to the late Robert Charles and Lura (Street) Jackson.

He worked for the past 13 years as the chief of the Communicable Disease Bureau of the Delaware Division of Public Health, retiring in 2007.

Prior to moving to Delaware in 1994, he had a colorful career as a public servant. Dr. Jackson graduated in 1964 from Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn., where he had been active in his fraternity, EQV. He was attracted to this fraternal group because of its policy of inclusiveness that resulted in a racial, ethnic and religiously diverse membership.

Dr. Jackson earned a medical degree from Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City in 1968, and had post-graduate training at the UVA Hospital in Charlottesville, Va., and Babies Hospital of Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York.

In 1971, he was commissioned in the U.S. Public Health Service, serving as an epidemic intelligence service officer for the Centers for Disease Control.

Dr. Jackson was assigned as medical epidemiologist to the Hawaii State Department of Health.

While serving in Hawaii, he and his wife, Jayne Gosnell, had two children. From 1974 to 1979, Dr. Jackson worked for the Virginia State Health Department as director of epidemiology, the Bureau of Preventive Medical Services, and later as assistant state health commissioner.

During his tenure there he directed the investigation of a major Kepone spill into the James River. His management of the investigation and his clarity in explaining it to the public brought national recognition to his work.

Dr. Jackson was recruited to be the commissioner of the South Carolina Department of Health & Environmental Control by its board in 1979 and served in that position until 1986. He was the first commissioner to fully grasp and embrace the dual and
interdependent responsibilities of the agency for public health and environmental protection.

During his tenure, he initiated action to address the newly recognized AIDS epidemic through testing, epidemiologic investigations, follow up treatment, and education of the public. He increased DHEC"s commitment to diversity in staffing, both multidisciplinary and racial, and hired the agency’s first African-American physician.

When it became necessary for him to seek treatment for his long struggle with alcoholism, Dr. Jackson’s candor about his illness and rehabilitation opened new awareness and support for prevention and treatment of addiction.

Subsequent to leaving DHEC, he became board certified in addictionology and developed a private practice that became a major resource for treatment of impaired health professionals.

Dr. Jackson was instrumental in developing the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners" Impaired Physician Program.

When President Clinton created a federal office for AIDS and appointed a chief staff person reporting directly to him, Dr. Jackson was sought out by the new AIDS czar to work with her to strengthen the public health approach in a nationwide effort to address this epidemic.

Dr. Jackson’s life presented him with many challenges. He met those challenges with courage, and made a difference in many lives.

He had an astute sense of humor, a great love of animals and nature in all its forms, and limitless compassion for people from all walks of life.

Dr. Jackson is survived by his daughter, Jennifer D. Jackson of Greenville, S.C.; his son, Jason S. Jackson; daughter-in-law, Wendy S. Jackson; granddaughter, Lauren S. Jackson of Raleigh, N.C.; his brother, Thomas W. Jackson and sister-in-law, Nan S. Jackson of Staatsburg, N.Y.; three nephews, Christopher Jackson, Peter Jackson, and William Jackson; and his ex-wife, Jayne G. Helm of Mt. Pleasant, S.C. A memorial service will be held at a later date. Torbert Funeral Chapel, Dover, will be
handling the arrangements.

Instead of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to the Carter Center, Office of Development, 1 Copenhill Ave., Atlanta, GA 30307, a foundation that is committed to advancing human rights and alleviating unnecessary human suffering. Bob admired Jimmy Carter, and shared the foundation’s ideals.

Leland Burr (’66)

From the Wesleyan Magazine, summer 1992

Leland Mothershead Burr, 47, died February 28, 1992. A member of EQV, he was the grandson of Leland M. Burr, Class of 1893. He is survived by his mother, two brothers, and three sisters. The University has no further information.

Brian Kazlov (’66)

From the Wesleyan Magazine, winter 1992

Brian David Kaslov, a painter who worked in New York and Oregon, drowned while swimming in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Bali on June 16, 1991. He was 47. A member of EQV, he received his B.F.A. and his M.F.A. from Yale University. He taught art at several universities, among them Western Washington State University, and his paintings are in major national collections, including Chase Manhattan Bank and the Richmond Museum of Fine Arts. He is survived by his wife, Luthera Stone Kaslov; his daughter; gus mother, and his grandmother.

Roger Young ('66)

(from Wesleyan, issue 1, 2010)

Roger A. Young, a geophysicist and associate professor at the University of Oklahoma, died Oct. 13, 2009, at age 66. He was a member of EQV and received his degree with high honors in geology. After receiving a master’s degree from Stanford University, he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Map Service). In 1979, he received his Ph.D. from the University of Toronto and became best known for his work in near-surface geophysics. He received the Stubbeman-Drace Presidential Professorship, given to outstanding faculty for teaching, willingness to mentor, and dedication to research, creative activity and service. Survivors include his wife, Frances Anne Bovee Young; his father, Dr. John A. Young (’40); two sisters; and a large extended family.

Elliot Helfer (’67)

From the Wesleyan magazine, summer 1979

Elliot S. Helfer, 33, of 220 San Vicente 413, Santa Monica, Calif., died May 7, 1979, according to word recently received by the alumni office. He was an attorney.
He graduated with honors from Wesleyan’s College of Social Studies. He was a member of the Esse Quam Videre fraternity.
He is survived by his wife, Antoinette Ziegler.

Sibley P. Reppert (67) (Obit click here)t

My name is Victoria Reppert, and my dad Sib Reppert was a Wesleyan grad (as was I!) and EQV member. He passed away unexpectedly this summer and we were lucky enough to have some of his Wes friends speak at his service. He stayed close with his college friends all his life, including many rows with the Founders Crew of the Wesleyan crew team at the Head of the Charles regatta each fall.
I was wondering whether you would mind putting me in touch with the EQV members whom he would have known. I’d love to hear their stories and recollections of my dad, if they would be willing to share.
Thank you!
email here

Richard E. Donely ('68)

Richard E. Donely '68, the founder of Mountain High Alfalfa, which markets hay for farmers to dairymen and horse breeders throughout the U.S., died Aug. 4, 2006. He was 59. A member of Esse Quam Videre, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. After receiving his degree magna cum laude and with high honors from the College of Social Studies, he received an M.B.A. from Harvard. While an undergraduate, his research into the psychological motivation of presidential speeches received national attention and was published in Time magazine. Active in human rights organizations in Colorado, he also published two books. Among those who survive are his partner, Ron Mahka; his second mother, Jean Donley; a brother; and a nephew.

Rick Beebe ('67)

Richard Knowles Beebe Jr., 74, passed away October 23, 2020, at his home in Santa Rosa. Richard, known by most as Rick, was born May 4, 1946, in Torrington, CT, to the Rev. Richard Knowles and Jane (Rogers) Beebe. He grew up in Cornwall, CT, and Briarcliff, NY, and graduated from The Hill School in 1963 and Wesleyan University in 1967. In 1973, he received his master's in counseling at Antioch University.

Rick served in the Peace Corps in Turkey from 1967 to 1969 and met Pamela Cordts on vacation in Greece. Rick and Pam were married in San Mateo, CA, in 1969 by Rick's father and lived in New England for years before moving to California, where they raised their family. Rick worked as vice president of corporate communications at Bank of America in San Francisco until his retirement in 2001.

An avid backpacker, Rick (aka "Snowbird") achieved his dream of hiking on all seven continents, logging over 2,200 miles. Highlights included the Appalachian Trail, the Tahoe Rim Trail, the John Muir Trail, the Tour du Mont Blanc, the Grand Canyon, the Pacific Crest Trail, Mt. Kilimanjaro, the Paine Circuit in Chile, the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal, the Tongariro Alpine Crossing and Routeburn Track in New Zealand, the Walker's Haute Route from Mont Blanc to the Matterhorn, and one cold, wet night on the ice in Antarctica. On his layovers at home, he enjoyed a good book and a cold IPA.
Rick shared many other hobbies and interests with his family, inspiring many of their pursuits. He was most fond of the outdoors, traveling, camping, cross-country skiing, food, photography, music, and literature. Vacations included road trips and river rafting, national parks and historical sites. He was a lifelong choral singer and sang with Masterworks Chorale in San Mateo. Later, he joined the Sonoma Bach Choir, where he was both a chorus member and board member.
Rick was a longtime member of Pacific Swimming, serving as swim official, board member, webmaster, and times recognition chairman. He was also a board member and active parent participant of the Mid-Peninsula Mariners Swim Team and friend to many Masters swimmers and coaches on the peninsula and within USA Swimming.
In addition to his wife, Rick is survived by his daughters, Jessica Beebe and her spouse, Gwendolyn Rino, of Oakland, CA, and Damaris Beebe Barbour and her husband, Brandon Barbour, of Millbrae, CA; and his brother, David Camp Beebe, of Amherst, MA. Rick's reserved manner, practicality, and understated humor will be greatly missed.
Due to public health concerns, no in-person memorial service is planned. Friends may contact the family for information about an online celebration.
If you would like to honor Rick's memory, please spend a moment outdoors and consider donating to the Yosemite Conservancy (101 Montgomery Street Suite 1700, San Francisco, CA 94104) or to your favorite state or national park.

Published in San Francisco Chronicle from Nov. 7 to Nov. 8, 20



Emilio Roma III (’57)

            Died August 1, 1987

Paul Cable

            Died August 16, 1996

Bruce Marks

            Died July 1, 1969